Monday, April 19, 2010

LOOKING BACK: 4.1.2008: The Winged Man (Fly Shy)

The Guy and Icarus.

ICARUS
Wanna try these on?

THE GUY
I don't think so.

ICARUS
No faith in the apparatus?

THE GUY
No. Sorry. No offense.

ICARUS
None taken. Nobody ever wants to. Try them out. Word travels.

THE GUY
That it does.

ICARUS
People are fly shy. It's what I call it. Not a technical name. Just a bit of. You know. Lingo. Of the personal kind. They see the evidence of a failed attempt, and they won't come near even a piece of it. Fly shy. I don't get it.

THE GUY
I do. I get it.

ICARUS
I think, as long as there's a sliver of a chance that the events will play out differently, it's worth a go. Within reason, of course. But if there's hope... you know, I think there's got to be at least the attempt. No time for fly shy. You know?

THE GUY
Who wants to fall out the sky more than once? Hell. Who wants to do it at all?

ICARUS
At least something's happening to you.


There's a silence between them.


THE GUY
I feel a little beaten up. Bruised. I know you're supposed to just brush off the dirt, take a deep breath, and plunge ahead. I know it's what you do every day. But I just. I just don't want to today. I just want to be still. Completely still.

ICARUS
The only one that still are the dead ones. You're far from dead, buddy.

THE GUY
True.

ICARUS
Think about it. I think these wings might fit you. No time for fly shy.


The lights go down.

No comments: