Thursday, March 1, 2007

3.1.2007: Six Candles (What's Marked is Never Gone)

The Guy and The One Before.

Between them is a little cake. Six candles on it. Flickering.


THE GUY
You remembered.

THE ONE BEFORE
(smiles)
You didn’t.

THE GUY
No. I didn’t. I was busy. You know how I get when I’m busy.

THE ONE BEFORE
I know.

THE GUY
Sorry. I hope you’re not mad.

THE ONE BEFORE
Nah.

THE GUY
Six.

THE ONE BEFORE
Yup.

THE GUY
I met you six years ago today.

THE ONE BEFORE
In that bar…

THE GUY
… I saw your car drive up. You walked in. I thought you were cute.

THE ONE BEFORE
I thought you were cute.

THE GUY
I liked you instantly.

THE ONE BEFORE
Same here.

THE GUY
I remember standing outside before we were going to go our separate ways for the night, and I thought to myself, “I think this guy might be around for a while.”

And you were.

You know I don’t regret a single minute of it.

THE ONE BEFORE
Me either.

They sit for a while.

There’s a lot more that The Guy could say. But he wouldn’t say them here. Because some things belong only to the people they happen to. And the things that have passed between The Guy and The One Before are those kind of things.

And The Guy doesn’t want to tell The One Before that he’ll miss having this anniversary. Having a day that marks a life built with someone. With him. Because it was a wonderful life. It was. Regardless of how things have ended up.

Words don’t measure up here. There’s too much to be told, to be described.

Six candles on a cake are like a drop in the ocean.

But there they are. Six candles between them, flickering. Marking a relationship that has ended.

They won’t blow them out. The lights will fade, but the candles will still flicker, illuminating the two of them in the dark, allowing them to see each other even though the play (and their time together) has ended.

2 comments:

Trefor said...

I read that and I felt a longing for the one before...anniversaries that I thought would happen and didn't...*sigh*

Anonymous said...

I don't know anyone right now that I've known for more than 6 years. Persistance of Memory.