Tuesday, March 13, 2007

3.13.2007: Gone Hiking

The Guy, who is joined by his Uncertain Future.

The Uncertain Future is dressed for hiking. Oversized backpack stuffed with necessities a must.


THE GUY
Oh. Well, hello.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Howdy.

THE GUY
I haven’t seen you in a while.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Vacation. You haven’t been too worried lately about The Things To Come, so I decided to go hiking.

THE GUY
Ah. How was it?

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
It was nice. Spring has sprung, so the weather was kind. And the walking was superb. When you’re an Uncertain Future, it’s sometimes hard to plan a vacation, you need the sort of recreation without a destination, so you pack a bag, put on your boots, open the door…

and explore.

How have you been?

THE GUY
Oh, very good.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
That’s great.

THE GUY
Yes it is, actually.

I haven’t been worried about The Things To Come. Which, for me, is sort of odd. Normally, that ALL I’m worried about. But now… I don’t know. I’m just. Right where I am.

I hope you don’t mind.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Nah. Everyone deserves a little time off. Uncertain Futures included.

THE GUY
I’m sure I’ll need you again before long.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
I’m sure you will.
Not that I know.
Because I don’t.

You want some trail mix?

THE GUY
No thanks.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
I bought a crapload of trail mix. I don’t know why. But I did.

I’ll see you soon.

THE GUY
Soon.

The Uncertain Future exits, to continue his hiking vacation. The Guy is here, a smile on his face, ready for whatever is next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the best way to be...open to whatever...anything and everything but its always good to have a snack ready (just in case)...I LOVE trailmix...I have to admit though, I haven't had all that many moments in my life where I HAVEN'T been worried about what's up front...that I can't see...wait, that's like you...nevermind...

Anonymous said...

It's been nice outside lately. Nice enough to break a sweat in Tennis, but cool enough to enjoy a game of croquet. Hiking sounds so good right now, like those random cravings for macaroni that I have every few months, but never appease.