Thursday, March 15, 2007

3.15.2007: A Map of the World (Darts and Destinations)

The Guy and his Uncertain Future.

A map of the world appears on stage. The Uncertain Future produces a handful of darts.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Here.

THE GUY
What are these?

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Darts.

THE GUY
I can see that. What are they for?

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
We will determine the Future.

THE GUY
With darts?

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Why not?

The Uncertain Future throws a dart at the map of the world.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
How do you feel about (name whatever place the dart has it, even if it’s an ocean).

THE GUY
Are you serious?

Another dart.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Okay. How about (whatever place the dart has hit).

THE GUY
No. And I don’t think it’s a very sane thing to do.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Darts?

THE GUY
Throwing darts at a map of the world to figure out where you’ll end up.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Why not?

THE GUY
Why not? Are you serious? It’s… insanity! You can’t make huge decisions arbitrarily. You have to think about them. Consider all the positives and negatives. Ask around. Get feedback. Get on the internet and back up the feedback. There has to be some method to change, otherwise you’re just changing blindly, without any attention paid to the repercussions of it.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
But you never know what’s going to happen.

THE GUY
Well yes…

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
No matter how much you prepare…

THE GUY
I know…

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
All change is blind.

As blind as throwing a dart at a map of the world.
Choices are only wise in retrospect.
So you can labor
and question
and consider
and debate

until the choice seems as certain as the fact that you’re alive.

but you’ll make it
you’ll make a choice
and change will take place

and nothing will prevent
the unexpected.

So what’s the difference,
in the end?

The Guy considers.

He takes a dart and throws it at the map of the world.


THE GUY
How about (wherever the dart lands)?

The Uncertain Future throws another. Suggests that place.

They trade off darts and destinations until the lights fade the black.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know what...no matter where you end up...it's about making it work...certainly there's planning...but, if you're not in it to begin with, why move there? Somewhere arbitrary could be fun and interesting as well...an adventure of sorts...kinda reminds me of the Indigo Girls...Power of Two...I know it's about a short trip...but why not think of it in grander terms?

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/i/indigo+girls/power+of+two_20067270.html

Anonymous said...

actually, it's not about a short trip at all...*chuckle* it's still a good song and it's the song I thought of when I read today's life/play

Anonymous said...

*chuckle* I keep thinking of things to say...but you know, sometimes the best things happen when they're not planned...like meeting you...

Anonymous said...

I always used to wonder where it is that I'm supposed to be, where I belong, where the Universe needed me, where my destiny lay at any given moment.

I thought about this day and night, always in the back of my mind this feeling gnawing at me that maybe I made the wrong move, a wrong turn, that I should be heading somewhere else or already in a different place right now, right now being whenever I'd ponder this dilemma.

AUUUGGGHHH!!! Where in the world am I supposed to BE?

One day, in a quiet moment when it was just the right time and I was just the right ready for the Universe to whisper the truth of it, the Universe did just that . . .

"Look down."

Anonymous said...

I have a dart board...and a lot of holes in the wall around it.

Anonymous said...

This is weird. A cop just came by my house. Supposedly someone here just called 911. One of my brother's friends called "accidently." How the hell do you accidently call 911?