Tuesday, March 20, 2007

3.20.2007: Intermezzo (Don’t Stage Me, Just What’s On My Mind)

The Guy is a little confused today.

The One Before went out on a date last night. And is going out on one again tonight.

And while the idea that the One Before is moving on with his life is a happy one for The Guy, there is something… well… confusing about the way this feels.

Letting something go is always a liberating emotion. The Guy knows this well. He’s written about it before in this monstrosity, and he will probably write about it again at some point. Because he likes the way letting go feels. He likes the weight being lifted and the doors opening up and the music and the lights and the cartoon birds and the feeling that everything is incredibly possible.

But he’d never given much thought about being something that is let go. He’s never really been the weight that needs to be lifted. And today, he understands what that is like.

So he’s not coming today. Sorry. Not that he’s sad. He’s not. In fact, he’s waiting on a phone call so he can go out to dinner with a friend.

He’s just unsure of what to make of this feeling. This limbo feeling. This In-Between Place he’s found himself in.

So while he’s off considering that, the stage is empty. It’s own In-Between Place.

Theatre is as theatre does. We know this is a play, because the lights go down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When Greg and I parted ways it was a few months before I went out with anyone...and for some strange reason I was alright with the fact that he wasn't seeing anyone...but as soon as I found out he had gone of a few dates and fooled around with a few guys I felt somehow hollow...he was moving on...he was getting over me...and I didn't know what to do with that...

I had to re-read today's life/play...all I saw was I went out on a date last night and I'm going for another one tonight...and my heart kinda sank...but then I opened my eyes and chuckled...