Thursday, March 15, 2007

3.15.2007: The Observer Effect, Part Two

The Guy and some students, clearly in the midst of an enjoyable conversation.

Apart, Frank.

The Guy and the students are being clever and fun, but Frank remains at a distance. The Guy notices this.

At a moment when the group erupts into laughter, everything stops. The group is frozen, except the Guy, who is still watching Frank.


THE GUY
You don’t go unnoticed, you know.
By me, anyway.

Now, I guess, it’s me
observing you.

I think we’re a lot more alike than not
so I just wanted to extend this
(I don’t know what to call it)
invitation, I guess…

If there’s ever something to say
feel free to say it.
For whatever that’s worth.

Because I observe, in you,
something of me,
something of The Guy Back When,
something that rings familiar.

And I might be off completely
I might just have caught the wrong shadow
across the wrong wall
at the wrong angle
and nothing I observe actually is.

But if I’m not wrong,
and something I’ve said
or done
or written
feels authentic to you…

feel free.

There’s a moment.

The group unfreezes and is laughing again.

Frank waves a quick goodbye and goes.

The lights go down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It always feels nice to be noticed!

Anonymous said...

This must have been written after Love Letters. Then, I think I was still under the influence of that play. For some reason, it just really hit me. It was so good, and your speech at the end of act one was so parallel to the thoughts within my mind. Those silences whenever the person never responded were just so poignant, and when she died, oh, man...I shed a tear from my left eye. You really were awesome. (Don't scoff at that either. I'm serious. The compliment fairy is watching...)

This message is a glass box. I don't know what to say, because it feels like if I put to much light in it, I'll be looking out into darkness, too open.