Sunday, January 28, 2007

1.28.2007: Tether (and Why it’s Good You Came Around)

The Guy appears on stage, tied to ropes that extend out into space in every direction. The ropes extend far into the wings and the flies, probably down the street, maybe even past places The Guy has never heard of.

The Guy struggles with the ropes, because they won’t let him move, not even an inch, in any direction. He fights hard, but sometimes ropes are stronger than they appear.

The Fella appears. He’s attached to one of the ropes.


THE GUY
Hey.

THE FELLA
Hi.

THE GUY
What’s wrong?

THE FELLA
This rope. I’m attached to this rope. It’s a problem.

THE GUY
You’re telling me. Look who you’re talking to.

THE FELLA
No. That’s not the problem. The problem is that I don’t believe this rope really exists anymore.

THE GUY
Huh?

THE FELLA
Sorry. I don’t. I don’t believe in this rope anymore.

And just like that, the rope connecting the The Guy to the Fella vanishes.

This startles them both.

There’s a moment when the Guy thinks, “this is awful I want the rope back because I’m so used to having ropes that now, without one, I feel like a heaping pile of shit.”

But then, another thought enters his head. he thinks, “I don’t believe in these ropes either.”

And like that, all the ropes disappear. And the Guy is able to walk in any direction he wants to, and this is cool, because he hasn’t been able to do that in a really long time.

He goes to the Fella, and he hug the Fella.

THE GUY
Thank you.

THE FELLA
For what?

THE GUY
For snapping the tether.

The Guy starts to walk off.

THE FELLA
Hey! How about some ice cream?

THE GUY
No. I don’t think so.

THE FELLA
Maybe later?

THE GUY
No. I don’t think so. I’ve got some walking to do.

The Guy goes. And because he’s looking forward, he’s never really sure what the Fella did after he went.

5 comments:

Ron said...

Cody, they are all stirring feelings...not sure what kind...that's what makes it so great, it let's ME explore....thanks

Anonymous said...

love the imagery. you are a master at summing up life in so few words.

Anonymous said...

unbelievable... if i had only read this play like a horoscope on the morning of january the 28th, i think things would have gone much better for me up there in carolina.

holy crap that's weird.

Anonymous said...

Man is born free, but goes everywhere in chains. I guess that's all I need to say.

Anonymous said...

So it IS true...ice cream really doesn't fix everything...