Thursday, January 25, 2007

1.24.2007: The Thing That Comes and Goes

The Guy appears. He’s dressed nice. He looks sharp. He’s smiling.

The Fella appears.

THE FELLA
Hi.

The Guy suddenly goes nuts.

THE GUY
ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?
What is your problem?
Seriously. Seriously.
I mean, I’m HERE. I’m standing right here.
I’m telling you. I’m TELLING you.
And more than telling you
I’m HERE. I’m PRESENT.
I’m actually able to be right here right now
and right here right now for a lot of the time to come
AND YOU SAY NO!
I mean. Are you mildly retarded?
Because you must be mildly retarded to say NO
when you know what’s here for you!
WHAT’S HERE. In me.
You’ve seen it. I know you’ve seen it
don’t say you don’t know what I’m talking about.
You know what’s here.
BUT YOU’RE STILL STANDING OVER FUCKING THERE!
I MEAN, WHAT DOES A PERSON HAVE TO DO!?
Do I have to open myself up like a
like a
Like an I don’t know what
but is that what it takes? IS IT! IS IT?
Here. HERE…


The Guy grabs the center of his chest and pulls back the skin, pulls back the ribs, the muscles, and opens himself like an I don’t know what.

Suddenly, versions of The Guy emerge from his chest, hundreds of them, every nice thing he’s ever said to the Fella, every kiss, every time he poked his head just to be able to reach out and touch him, every wink, every laugh, every time woke up in the middle of the night and saw the Fella sleeping beside him and felt safer, every hug that didn’t last long enough, every remembered conversation, everything, every version of the Guy that was touched by The Fella – they come pouring out and they fill the stage.

The sound is deafening. Cacophony. It drowns out the hum of the world.

Then, they disappear as quickly as they have appeared.

The Guy’s chest closes. He’s back to normal.


THE GUY
Sorry. It happens.

Hi.

THE FELLA
You okay?

THE GUY
Comes and goes.

The Fella doesn’t say anything.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this reafirms my previous comment...this should definitely one day be put on screen.

Anonymous said...

a lot of stuff does get shoved in that chest cavity over time... good call.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is what I've been keeping in the back of my mind for a while: that would be a good scene in a film.

(I have to stop this now. I have to go get a job.)

Anonymous said...

i think Shaw quote at the top applies to this one the most.