Friday, April 20, 2007

4.20.2007: Permanence

“Turn your mind away from things which are not permanent.” - Buddha

The Husband and The Wife appear.

The Wife speaks to the Husband, but he doesn’t really hear her. He’s occupied with something.

THE WIFE
If you look at me before I count to ten,
I won’t stop loving you.

If you look at me before I hear a car pass outside,
I won’t wish I’d never met you.

If you look at me before you turn the page of whatever you’re reading,
I won’t wish you were dead.

Look at me.

Look at me.

A silence. He does not look at her.

THE WIFE (cont.)
You fail me.
You are not a thing that will last forever.

She looks at him. Then her face erases itself. It is a blank canvas. She holds nothing of her frustration or disappointment or regret. She is a clean slate.

He reads whatever it is he’s been reading as if nothing has happened.

No comments: