Sunday, April 8, 2007

4.8.2007: Moment Passes

The Husband and The Wife, in their final appearance.

THE HUSBAND
When we got married…

THE WIFE
… I told his mother I had no intention of having children…

THE HUSBAND
… and my mother said, “well, what kind of marriage…

THE WIFE
… is one without children?” I told her she was being ridiculous.

THE HUSBAND
We wanted this marriage to be about just the two of us.

THE WIFE
“Marriage is about making a family,” she said.

THE HUSBAND
I didn’t mind at first.

THE WIFE
We are a family unto ourselves.

THE HUSBAND
At first, I didn’t think we’d need anything else.

THE WIFE
Children complicate things.

THE HUSBAND
Because when you find the person you love…

THE WIFE
We can build a world just the two of us.

THE HUSBAND
… shouldn’t they be enough? Shouldn’t they complete a life?

THE WIFE
Children can distract you from each other.

THE HUSBAND
But I look at her sometimes…

THE WIFE
I catch his eye sometimes…

THE HUSBAND
And a voice in my head says, “she’s not enough.”

THE WIFE
This sort of blank look.

THE HUSBAND
It vanishes in a second, of course.

THE WIFE
Then it’s gone and we go back to bills or dishes…

THE HUSBAND
But for a second…

THE WIFE
… or laundry

THE HUSBAND
I regret everything.

THE WIFE
When I kiss him sometimes, there’s a space. Even though we’re touching, there’s a space I can’t seem to cross.

Silence. The lights go down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whats going on behind these husband and wife plays? they are very good, very interesting...just curious as to what inspired you to write them? i like this...again how no matter what, relationships will never be perfect, people change daily in little tid bits at a time, till it adds up to a whole. i like em. sad to see this is their final moment.