Saturday, April 21, 2007

4.21.2007: Carrot / Fella (Your Name is My Name Too)

The Guy, Carrot, and the Fella.

CARROT
Who’s he?

THE GUY
He’s the Fella.

THE FELLA
Well, who’s he?

THE GUY
He’s the Carrot.

They sort of look at each other for a second.

THE GUY (cont.)
His name is your name, too.

CARROT / FELLA
Oh.

THE GUY
So I thought you two might finally need to meet.

CARROT
Well, it’s nice to meet ya, Fella.

THE FELLA
Pleasure’s all mine, Carrot.

Little bit of awkward silence.

CARROT
Does it matter in these things if the truth is sort of blurred?

THE GUY
What do you mean?

CARROT
Well, I’ve never really met him. Not in real life. But we’re meeting here. I’m wondering if that matters. That we can appear together in the same play when we don’t ever appear together in real life.

THE GUY
But you do. Sort of.

THE FELLA
How’s that?

THE GUY
Well.
Tonight I went out.
And I saw you, Carrot.
And it was nice to see you.
I was sort of reminded of all the things that made me like you.
And the couple of times I caught your eye,
there was a little spark of something
something I remember
and it was nice.

But the whole time I was with you,
I was thinking of him.

The Guy points to the Fella.

THE GUY (cont.)
And not just because you have the same name, either.

The Guy turns to The Fella.

THE GUY (cont.)
I keep casting about out there for something to take your place.
Nothing really does.

Out of respect for the truth of the Fella, he says nothing. Because the real Fella never responds to those sort of things.

THE GUY (cont.)
Weird you two have the same name.

The Guy turns to the Carrot, who smiles in that sheepish way he smiles.

The Guy then turns to the Fella, who does that little wink thing.

We think he might turn to us, and say something, but he doesn’t. He stays looking at The Fella. Because he’s gotten used to doing it again, and finds he enjoys it more than he remembered.

The lights go down.

No comments: