Tuesday, May 1, 2007

5.1.2007: A Little Divided Attention

The Guy, sitting onstage, sort of off somewhere in his own little world.

Life/Play marches onstage, a little pissed.


LIFE/PLAY
Hey.

THE GUY
Oh. Hey. I’m sorry. I was off somewhere in my own little world.

LIFE/PLAY
You forgot to write today.

THE GUY
Oh. You’re right.

LIFE/PLAY
Of all the things to forget to do in a given day, I thought I would be the ONE thing you wouldn’t forget.

THE GUY
Well, it’s been a very busy few days, and there’s a lot going on.

LIFE/PLAY
There’s a man, isn’t there?

THE GUY
Don’t start.

LIFE/PLAY
There’s a man on your mind, so you didn’t write a play for today?

The Guy looks sheepishly guilty.

LIFE/PLAY (cont.)
Oh, God! There is! Isn’t there? There’s a man. Oh Jesus, here we go again.

Haven’t you learned anything? Flip back a couple months, and just look at the parade of gentlemen that have marched through these pages (marched through these pages and right out the other end, if you take a closer look, because how many of them are actually still sticking around? None!).

THE GUY
This one’s nice.

LIFE/PLAY
They all seem nice at first! Every one of ‘em! Then they disappear, or end up being complete wierdos, or assholes, or whatever!

THE GUY
Not this one.

LIFE/PLAY
You don’t know that!

THE GUY
I know.

LIFE/PLAY
I don’t like this. I don’t like this at all.

THE GUY
I do.
I like having someone to think of.
I like having someone who’s thinking of me.

And yes, I have no idea what’s going to happen
but I like that.
I welcome the Uncertain into my life.

He’s got this smile…
seriously, it just hits me right here
in the center of my chest

so isn’t that worth a little divided attention?

So, chill out.

I don’t mind running the risk of being disappointed
in case he’s the one who won’t disappoint.

LIFE/PLAY
Okay. But you better write me.

THE GUY
I will.

LIFE/PLAY
Okay.

THE GUY
No, seriously, I will. Because he’s watching. Look.

The Guy takes out his cell phone and shows Life/Play a text message.

LIFE/PLAY
"You forgot to write today.”

THE GUY
See? Watching.

LIFE/PLAY
He reads me? Oh, I like this guy already…

The lights go out.

No comments: