Friday, May 18, 2007

5.18.2007: Second Skin

The Guy and The One Before. Dinner at a restaurant. Beer, burgers.

They have not seen each other in about a month. They’ve talked on the phone, yes, but tonight is the first time they’ve actually been in the same place.


THE GUY
So Nate’s coming down to see me tomorrow.

THE ONE BEFORE
Cool.

THE GUY
Yeah, I think he’s staying until Monday. It’ll be good to see him.

THE ONE BEFORE
Rich called me.

THE GUY
Finally.

THE ONE BEFORE
I know. He said he was busy with work, so I’m not gonna be too mad he hadn’t been in touch.

THE GUY
What about that other one? Chris?

THE ONE BEFORE
Craig. No I talk to him every day. He works a lot though. Just like you. But I still wanna go out on a date with him.

THE GUY
Good for you. Go for it.

They continue like this as a stage direction unfolds. An unstageable one that notices something the untrained eye could not see.

As they talk, these two are shedding their skins. Slowly, in very small increments, pieces of their old skins are being peeled away, the skins that kept them together for six years.

These old skins are shed because they are no longer needed. There is no going back to the people they were. And as they talk, they notice for the first time that they are both now better off than they were before – happier.


THE GUY (cont.)
I missed you.

THE ONE BEFORE
I know. Me, too.

THE GUY
But you know… and I don’t want you to take this the wrong way or anything… but I’m not sad about it. Not like the first time. I miss you, you know, but I’m not sad anymore.

THE ONE BEFORE
I know what you mean.

We never really notice when we get our second skins. But one day, they’re there. And the thing we thought we’d never get over is suddenly… over.

THE GUY
Our waiter is cute.

THE ONE BEFORE
I know.

THE GUY
I dare you to leave him your number.

THE ONE BEFORE
I will.

THE GUY
No you won’t.

The One Before picks up the check and leaves his number on the bottom.

THE GUY
Oh my God. Who have you turned into?

THE ONE BEFORE
I have no idea.

They laugh.

Some skins are built to last forever. Most are built to be shed. And while they both believed their old skins would last forever, they are discovering that the ones beneath it are more beautiful than the ones before.

It is a reassuring lesson to learn.

The lights go down.

No comments: