Monday, May 28, 2007

5.28.2007: Unfinished Business (with an unexpected coda about something else entirely)

“It's funny how the fella, even though your supposedly over him, keeps popping up, I think one should be done before moving to another?”
-- Anonymous comment on the blog



The Guy sits with Nate on a couch. “CSI” plays on a television set we can’t see.

Nate has his arm around the Guy. They are content.

The Fella appears.


THE FELLA
Hello.

NATE
What’s he doing here?

THE GUY
Nothing. Don’t worry about it.

So, Nate doesn’t. They go back to watching “CSI.”

THE FELLA
I got hit in the face by a crazy person this weekend.

THE GUY
Oh yeah?

NATE
Hey. We’re watching TV. You and I. Not him.

THE GUY
I know.

THE FELLA
Don’t be jealous, Nate. Even though he likes me better.

THE GUY
Shut up. I don’t.

NATE
You don’t, do you?

THE GUY
No.

NATE
I didn’t think so.

THE FELLA
Yes you do. Because here I am. Again. In these plays.

THE GUY
Just because you show up here, doesn’t mean I still want to be with you. Which I don’t. It only means that you’re a peripheral part of my consciousness, showing up here to represent some part of my life that’s over with. I mean you don’t even have a name in here…

NATE
I get a name.

THE FELLA
Don’t rub it in.

THE GUY
So can we get back to watching TV now?

THE FELLA
But I’m why this whole thing got started!

NATE
He is?

THE FELLA
Yeah, buddy. Look back at the first couple days. All me! I am the reason all this madness got rolling. So, if you really think about it… Nate… I’m the reason you’re here.

THE GUY
No. I’M the reason he’s here. I’m the writer of this thing.

THE FELLA
But if it wasn’t for me…

THE GUY
Yes, I appreciate that. If it wasn’t for you, none of this would have even come into being. But beyond the point of inspiration, you have nothing to do with this thing. This is my life here…

THE FELLA
Of which I am a part…

THE GUY
Yes. Of which you are a part.

NATE
I really wanna watch the rest of this episode of CSI.

THE GUY
I know. I’m sorry.

THE FELLA
Look at your own plays, Mister Writer-Man. You’re not over me at all. I keep popping up, unexpectedly, and it’s always a variation on the same theme: missed opportunity, lost love, the One That Got Away. So what are you doing here? Seriously.

THE GUY
He tells me he likes me.
That’s what I’m doing here.
He tells me he likes me, and I believe him.

Don’t get me wrong.
I’m always worried he’s going to change his mind
(because that’s what I do, you know,
wait for the other shoe to drop
because I haven’t yet gotten accustomed to good things sticking around)

But he reminds me without me asking.
We’ll just be sitting somewhere,
and he’ll tell me he’s happy to be with me.

That’s nice.
You never did that.

But I have to honor your place in this
because it wouldn’t be true otherwise.

But don’t think you’re here because I’m not happy where I am.

THE FELLA
You’ve written better plays than this.

THE GUY
I know.

THE FELLA
They’re getting unfocused. A little rambling.

THE GUY
I know.

THE FELLA
I don’t even particularly like the one I’m in right now.

THE GUY
I’d imagine you wouldn’t.

A shift, unexpected.

THE FELLA
What’s going on with you?

THE GUY
I don’t know exactly.
A tide seems to be changing.
We shall see.

NATE
Can we finish this episode now?

THE GUY
Yeah.

The Guy and Nate finish watching “CSI.” The Fella doesn’t go anywhere -- he hovers, but he’s quiet.

And in the silence, there is the feeling of something changing. Not necessarily between these three people, but in the entirety of this world.

Changes are coming. Most of them feel like positive ones. But you never know what comes around the corner until you’re around it.

Enjoy this right now. His arm over your shoulder. The cap he’s wearing. The way he laughs at that commercial.

Be right here, right now. For as long as you can.

The lights go down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll have to excuse the Diseny reference but--the "changes are comming" reminds me so much of what Grandmother Willow said. At any rate, I see what you're saying about the plays getting progressively self-concious and insecure, but I think it works. This is supposed to be you at the root of everything, and who isn't insecure at times? It shows a diiferent side to you, which is nice--your vulnerable side.
--No Longer Anonymous :]

Anonymous said...

In all actuality, no one "knows" what the rest of their life has in store for them. We all "think" we know, and hope that our lives go in the direction we have planned, but seriously, does anybody REALLY know what the future holds? Things change, some good, some bad. Live in the moment and enjoy what you have. Your life seems so full of good things right now, but you wouldn't really know they were good unless you had something else to compare it to. Enjoy - you are a good person and you deserve good things and good people in your life!