Monday, May 7, 2007

5.7.2007: Start Small (The Halleluia Chorus in Miniature)

The Guy and someone new – Nate (because for some people, a silly moniker is just… well, silly.)

NATE
I get a name?

THE GUY
Yes.

NATE
Awesome.

THE GUY
Not many people get names. Even in real life, I do that. Give people little nicknames. “The 20-year old.” “Cowboy.” The Best Friend thinks it’s because when it comes to boys, I have a problem seeing people for what they really are.

NATE
And yet I get to be “Nate.”

THE GUY
Yes you do. Welcome to the play.

NATE
Thank you. I was wondering if I’d get in here.

THE GUY
I knew you would. Eventually. I just didn’t wanna rush it.

NATE
I see.

THE GUY
Because I don’t want you vanishing like the other ones. Freakshow. The Good Thing. The Curiosity. Carrot. Look back through the plays, you’ll find them. Here one day, gone the next.

NATE
Not me.

THE GUY
I hope not.

NATE
No. I like being here. It means you’re thinking about me…

THE GUY
I’m definitely thinking about you…

NATE
And like me enough to want to share me…

THE GUY
Share the fact of you. I’m not sharing you…

NATE
Share the fact of me. Okay. And that you aren’t kidding around.

THE GUY
I’m not.
I want to give you something.

NATE
Really?

THE GUY
Yeah. Hold on.

The Guy goes off. Nate stands there a second, a little curious.

The Guy returns with a box… a box that’s not too big, the kind of box that in a play from a while back contained a lovely day.

This isn’t that particular box. It’s a different box. Which the Guy will explain in a second.


THE GUY (cont.)
Here.
This is for you.

This is a box that contains a day.
The first day we spent together, actually.
Saturday. Fifth of May.

I’m giving it to you because it means something to me.
And I’m trusting you with it.
I’m trusting you to hold on to this day for as long as you can.

Because as long as we’ve got this one particular day,
we can make others.
And I want to. With you.
For as long as you’ll let me.

I know, I know,
this is sappy, this is sentimental and silly
but I just felt so good about this one particular day…

and look
if there comes a day when you don’t want this box anymore,
just let me know and hand it back to me
I won’t be angry or anything,
I’ll take it back no questions asked.

But if there’s anything I’ve learned
in writing this monstrosity
you’ve now found yourself in

is that you can build anything you want
if you have just one good day –

a day when an idea hits you
and you commit to it
and you follow through
and work at it
and care about it
and invest something of yourself in building something lovely.

And I think I want to do that with you.
No.
I know I do.

So…

Here.
Open it.

Nate takes the box and opens it.

Light comes out of it – a lovely light that shines on his face as he smiles at what’s inside. We can sort f hear something coming from it… sounds like human voices, but very very small.


NATE
What is it?

THE GUY
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing the Halleluia Chorus.
In miniature, obviously.

NATE
Awesome.

THE GUY
It was that kind of day.

So, enjoy it.

NATE
Where are you going?

THE GUY
I was just gonna let you enjoy your gift.

NATE
Come here.
Share it with me.

The Guy joins Nate and the light from the box illuminates both of their faces.

Suddenly, we hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing the Halleluia Chorus filling the entire theatre.

The lights go down.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not too sure why, but this one makes me happy. I think it gives me hope.

Anonymous said...

perfect

Unknown said...

anonymous

Anonymous said...

that's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

This one gave me goose bumps and made me smile at the same time. . . seriously! I am soooooo happy for you! (and Nate too!) Hallefuckinluia!

Anonymous said...

hmm, now i know.

and by the way, it's beautiful.