Wednesday, May 2, 2007

5.2.2007: … and i never said the only thing i wanted was you

The Torrent, a ferociously fast speaker, appears.

THE TORRENT
… and i never said the only thing i wanted was you that wasn’t what i said at all i said i could be happy with you i could really you know somewhere down the line i could be happy with you and i tried to tell you that over and over again but i always felt like somewhere in the subtext of every one of our conversations you were thinking that i was saying you were the only thing i wanted you were the only thing that could possibly make me happy and i always felt like you pulled back from that because that’s scary and yeah i got you there that is scary i’d be freaked out of someone tried to tell me i was the only thing that could make them happy…

The Guy appears.

THE TORRENT (cont.)
… but it was never a case of you being the only thing to make me happy it was a case of you being something that would make me happy among the many things that already made me happy and i just wanted to add you to the collection of lovely things that populate my life because we’d be really good together don’t you think i mean i feel like somewhere in there in that heart of yours that impenetrable heart that seems to never be touched or moved or even bumped against i think somewhere in that heart you know that together we’d have a pretty fabulous life but you’re scared i think you’re scared in fact a part of me wants to say i know you’re scared but you’d just argue with me and tell me i was a jerk for trying to tell you how you feel because only you know how you feel so tell me how you feel please tell me you feel the way i think you feel because i never said the only thing i wanted was you and ---

The Guy places a hand on the Torrent. The Torrent stops speaking.

A silence.

The Torrent looks relieved to have stopped speaking.


THE GUY
I think we’ve said enough.

The Torrent looks up and is incredibly grateful. The Torrent will continue to think these things (forever, in fact, because don’t we always hold on to the argument we never won?) but The Guy’s decided it’s time to stop saying them.

Finally.

Enough is enough, right?

Maybe this time he’ll mean it, Maybe he’ll break his fortitude tomorrow. But right this second…

There’s only silence.

The lights go down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hm, interesting

Hypnotic Romance said...

because don’t we always hold on to the argument we never won?

Ture...

I like this one alot.

Anonymous said...

I love you for putting into words everything my heart has been trying to explain.