Friday, May 4, 2007

5.3.2007: Digging (Whatever You Want To Be)

The two Diggers return.

DIGGER DAN
Wife said I wasn’t paying enough attention to her.

DIGGER DO
Yeah?

DIGGER DAN
She said I spend too much time thinking about work.

DIGGER DO
Digging’s tough work.

DIGGER DAN
That’s what I told her. Takes a lot more concentration to dig holes that people can’t get themselves out of than it appears.

DIIGER DO
Looks easy…

DIGGER DAN
But it ain’t.

DIGGER DO
My wife doesn’t understand why I don’t get a job in an office somewhere.

DIGGER DAN
I don’t think I’d like office work.

DIGGER DO
That’s what I tell her.

DIGGER DAN
I need the dirt under my fingernails so I know I’m alive.

DIGGER DO
I have to be able to smell myself at the end of the day to know I’m still here.

DIGGER DAN
That’s work.

DIGGER DO
But it’s hard to convince her of that since I’ve got a Master’s in Sociology.

DIGGER DAN
Yup.

DIGGER DO
She always throws that in my face.

DIGGER DAN
Women…

DIGGER DO
I know.

A pause.

DIGGER DO (cont.)
I don’t see why you can’t just be whatever you want to be in the world.

DIGGER DAN
Whatever makes you happy.

DIGGER DO
Happy.

DIGGER DAN
Digging holes…

DIGGER DO
Digging holes…

They are still for a bit. Then the lights fade on them.

No comments: