Tuesday, February 13, 2007

2.13.2007: J (or, Correspondence Like in the Old Days)

The Guy and J, someone new, someone the Guy is clearly surprised to see.

THE GUY
Holy shit.

J
Surprised to see me here, huh?

THE GUY
Yeah. Very. I had the biggest crush on you in middle school.

J
I know.

THE GUY
And now here you are.

J
Here I am.

There’s a bit of a pause.

THE GUY
You don’t say a whole lot, do you?

J
Not really.

THE GUY
You know, I think it’s very cool that you’re in my life again. Not that you ever knew who I was, and not that we’re actually in the same place, and I’ve never actually spoken to you in person, but you know…

J
Yeah.

I have something for you.

THE GUY
For me?

J hands The Guy a few pages – a play. Brief. But a beginning.

J
It’s a play.

THE GUY
I see.

J
I’ve never written one before. It probably isn’t any good.

THE GUY
You never know. And anyway, I can always teach ya. It’s what I do.

J
Cool. Then read it. And let me know what you think, teach.

The Guy starts to read J’s play.

And it’s funny, but sort of poetic, that these two men – who have really never met each other – have now shared something personal. Through the written word.

Because the only reason J knows anything about the Guy is through a play The Guy wrote a while back. And now, there’s this new play. And there have been emails and instant messages, and everything that has passed between them has been written down.

Correspondence. Like the old days.

And The Guy thinks he’s just found a new friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely miss talking to friends through just simple emails at times.

Anonymous said...

I miss my friend Sarah. She's been in Korea the past year teaching English...I know that when she comes back to Canada we'll pick up where we left off last August...that's exciting!