Sunday, February 18, 2007

2.18.2007: Sad Songs on the Radio (A Memory)

The Guy and his Uncertain Future, who has quickly become his fastest friend here, are watching (slightly removed) The Guy Back When and The Sad Song Friend.

The Guy Back When and The Sad Song Friend are listening to Tracy Chapman’s song, “The Promise” and looking really bummed out.

The Guy chuckles.


UNCERTAIN FUTURE
What’s so funny?

THE GUY
Those two.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
They look sort of bummed out.

THE GUY
They are. Well. They think they are.

THE GUY BACK WHEN
God I love this song.

THE SAD SONG FRIEND
I know.

THE GUY BACK WHEN
This song is exactly what I want to say to him.

THE SAD SONG FRIEND
I know.

THE GUY BACK WHEN
I mean, he’s never gonna love me.

THE SAD SONG FRIEND
He’d love you before he’d love me.

THE GUY BACK WHEN
Whatever. He’s not gay. At least you’re a woman. He’d love you before he’d ever fall in love with me.

THE SAD SONG FRIEND
Please. He doesn’t even know I’m alive. At least he hangs out with you. At least he cares about you. He’d totally fall in love with you before he’d ever fall in love with me.

THE GUY BACK WHEN
Whatever.

THE SAD SONG FRIEND
This song…

THE GUY BACK WHEN
I know…

THE SAD SONG FRIEND
This freakin’ song…

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Are they serious?

THE GUY
When I was in college, Sarah and I would listen to this song every time we got together, because we were both madly in love with our friend, Brian. Who was in love with neither of us.

We’d sit there, on the verge of tears almost, arguing over which one of us Brian was gonna fall in love with before the other.

We thought our hearts were breaking. We thought we’d never experience anything as deeply profound as the pain of him not loving us.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Were you right?

THE GUY
No.

In truth, this is probably the happiest time of my entire life so far.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
This?

THE GUY
Yeah.

THE GUY BACK WHEN
Why doesn’t he love me?

THE SAD SONG FRIEND
He just can’t see what’s in front of him.

THE GUY BACK WHEN
If he only could see how much love I have in my heart for him.

THE SAD SONG FRIEND
If he could just hear this song…

THE GUY BACK WHEN
You know, if he ever picked you, I’d be happy for you.

THE SAD SONG FRIEND
If he picked you, I’d be happy for you.

THE GUY BACK WHEN
Why doesn’t he love either one of us?

The Guy Back When and The Sad Song Friend shake their heads and are miserable as the song plays on.

The Guy smiles a broad smile. This was happiness. The limitless world where the only thing you have to worry about is not having a straight guy love you back.

It was good. And so was this song.

The Guy listens as the lights go down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really like this one for some reason.

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to get Broken Social Scene out of my cd player in my car right now.

Anonymous said...

The Object of My Affection! Nina says: I want you to be with me, I want you to marry me, I want you to love me the way that I love you. But it doesn't happen...why? Because Nina, just like you and just like me...we're suckers for punishment...whether or not we wish to admit it!