Saturday, February 17, 2007

2.17.2007: The Smell of the Kill

The Guy and his Uncertain Future are together. They are surrounded by the rest of the men in the play, who slink about the stage like tigers hunting their prey. Their prey, it seems, is The Guy.

THE GUY
What the hell is going on?

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
You don’t know?

THE GUY
No.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
They’re after you.

THE GUY
After me?

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Yeah. They’re after you.

THE GUY
I’ve been noticing an unusual increase in the amount of male attention I’ve been getting the last few weeks.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
You know why, don’t you?

THE GUY
No. I have been curious about it, of course. But I haven’t really come to any firm conclusions on the matter.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
I know what it is.

THE GUY
Oh yeah?

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
They can smell the single all over you.

The Guy laughs. The prowling men that slink across the stage all bristle at the sound of it.

The Guy sort of freaks out.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE (cont.)
No sudden movements. The minute you let your guard down… POUNCE!

The Guy remains unnerved. His Uncertain Future, merely a metaphor so irrelevant to the prowling men, smiles contentedly.

The lights go down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm just using too much deodorant in the mornings. Yeah, Robert, that's the reason... {sad face with the puffy underlip of realization}

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...what does single smell like? I'm wondering if it's a fragrance I can stop wearing sometime in April?!