Thursday, February 15, 2007

2.15.2007: If a Tree Falls in a Forest (or Why We Bother With This at All)

The Guy is here, with his Uncertain Future.

THE GUY
I’ve been wondering something.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Yeah?

THE GUY
I’ve been wondering… who’s reading this?

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
People.

THE GUY
You sure?

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Yeah. Pretty sure.

THE GUY
But you’re not certain?

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
I am your Uncertain Future. By design, I am… uncertain.

THE GUY
See. I wonder about this. Because if no one’s actually reading this, then is it a play?

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Oh, I see. If a tree falls in the forest… that kind of thing.

THE GUY
Exactly.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
I think people are reading it.

THE GUY
You think. But you do not KNOW…

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Nothing is completely knowable.

THE GUY
I know that. I do. But…

Why do we write things down in the first place? So they can be read. So we can connect to someone. Share some part of us with someone else. And this is theatre… it should be a dialogue, a conversation

Just think of it. All of those voices – the readers and the writer – passing words back and forth, exchanging ourselves… these little pieces getting woven together by whoever’s out there and willing to share their little pieces…


UNCERTAIN FUTURE
You just want more responses on your blog, don’t you?

A silence.

THE GUY
Maybe.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
Jeez.

THE GUY
I like getting email. So sue me.

And the Uncertain Future laughs a little, but not mockingly.

Then, the sound of a tree falling in a forest.

The Guy and the Uncertain Future hear it.

And the tree, wherever it has fallen, is glad to know it has been acknowledged.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually have nothing to say, because I die at the end of every play in which I am written.

Damn bears...

Woof!

Anonymous said...

well be assured that there is at least one more person reading your work. i know there would be more...if the link wasn't so hard to find. i had to go through Casey's blog to find it. i am so excited for you! this is absolutely amazing...this piece. just don't forget your fans when you win your Tony and Providence lands on Broadway. haha. keep up the good work! you never cease to amaze me with all the things you do. oh...and...good luck with festival with The Business of Heaven. came across that while I was looking for this. i know this is getting kinda long but...i still haven't read guernica, and jarin has...soooooo...if you get a chance i'd really like to. i am really proud of you. you've made it. you've really made it!

Anonymous said...

I read, then dicuss with my boyfriend.

We also dicuss our bear defense techniques!

Anonymous said...

I am too far away to have heard it falling, but definately felt a thud.
Someone in London is reading you...

Anonymous said...

After Faulkner wrote Sound and the Fury merely for himself after his first books were flops and critics...criticized him. I guess that's a hard thing to do, especially now in this connected, liquid, electronic age. I don't know how these blog comments are recognized by the blogger, but I imagine you'll have a shitload of emails tomorrow. They just all happen to be from me.

Anonymous said...

Bruce Cockburn (pronounced Co-burn)...he's Canadian...he wrote a song about trees falling in forests...I think I liked it...