Saturday, February 3, 2007

2.2.2007: Virginia Guy (A Reconsideration)

The Guy, again, surrounded by the chunks of Virginia Guy from 1.30.2007.

Virginia Guy appears, but not the one we saw last time.

This time, he’s just a regular guy. Nice, unassuming, and clearly with a very healthy sense of humor.


VIRGINIA GUY
Hey. What are you doing?

THE GUY
Huh?

VIRGINIA GUY
You’ve got pieces of me all over the place.

THE GUY
Yeah. Um… sorry about that.

VIRGINIA GUY
I’m not really an asshole.

THE GUY
I know.

VIRGINIA GUY
I’m not even really that fat.

THE GUY
I know. I’m sorry.

VIRGINIA GUY
You know, you’re sort of an asshole for jumping to the conclusion that I’m an asshole.

THE GUY
Good point.

A weird moment.

VIRGINIA GUY
You can put the umbrella down now.

The Guy puts the umbrella down, slowly.

THE GUY
It’s not really you, you know. Like… you in particular. It’s more… people like that… people I represented in the guise of you.

VIRGINIA GUY
I got it.

THE GUY
I’m glad you have a sense of humor.

Virginia Guy picks up a piece of himself on the stage floor and chunks it at The Guy. It gets goop all over the Guy’s shirt.

THE GUY
Gross.

VIRGINIA GUY
Who’s the asshole now?

The Guy decides he deserves to have a little goop on his shirt.

The lights go down, but what we don’t see (because time is short and one shouldn’t assume too much, even in a play) is The Guy and Virginia Guy go out for coffee and find they have more in common than maybe The Guy first thought, which is a good thing to learn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

reminds me of Nicholas Cage in The Weather Man.

Anonymous said...

I really can see everyone as the guy right now. Or rather, what I'd like everyone to be. Especially Hitler. Boy, would he be goopy.

Anonymous said...

sometimes life is like looking at a painting up close...you can only see a portion of the painting...it's not until you stand back and take in the entire scene that you can appreciate it for everything it is...