Monday, February 5, 2007

2.5.2007: Awake and Sing! (Not After Odets)

We’re in two places at once. Louisiana and Indianapolis.

The Guy is at his computer desk in Louisiana. The Curiosity is rejoicing in the streets of Indianapolis, head painted blue.


THE GUY
Hey.

THE CURIOSITY
Oh hey. What are you doing here?

THE GUY
You were on my mind.

THE CURIOSITY
Oh yeah?

THE GUY
Yeah. Congratulations. Your team won.

THE CURIOSITY
That they did. You wanna come celebrate?

THE GUY
Nah. I’m not much into football. I can’t tell a Bear from a Colt.

THE CURIOSITY
That’s fine. Why were you even paying attention to who won the game?

THE GUY
Because you were.

There’s a nice moment between them.

THE CURIOSITY
Sure you don’t want to dance and sing in the streets with me?

THE GUY
Nah. I’m good where I am. Just wanted you to know you were thought of.

The Curiosity smiles. And then he goes off to sing and dance in the streets to celebrate victory.

The Guy watches him go, a little surprised that the happiness of someone he’s never met makes his Monday morning just a little less dreary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhhh....Mondays! the colts won? hmmm....who'd a thought?

Tony D said...

Cody.. i REALLY liked this one...

Anonymous said...

I got really into football at the end of last year. I kept track of the Saints and the Cowboys. Then the Cowboys were disgraced, and the Saints sadly lost, and then I thought there was more hope for me at Artmosphere during the Superbowl, so I danced all day instead, by myself, confidently within, yet still afraid without: of only the sensation of another person's fingers.

Anonymous said...

I love your genuine care and concern...your gentle giant demeanor...there are so many wonderfully endearing things about you that I find I'm more and more drawn to as the days pass...