Monday, February 5, 2007

2.5.2007: Good Thing (or When It Rains, It Pours)

The Guy appears.

Across the space, another fellow appears: The Good Thing.

They are far apart – on stage and in life. But here, they can talk, across a distance, as if they were side by side.

THE GUY
Hey.

THE GOOD THING
Hey.

THE GUY
You know, this keeps happening to me.

THE GOOD THING
Really?

THE GUY
Yeah. Good things keep coming my way. But why are you all so damn far away?

THE GOOD THING
Part of the fun, I guess.

THE GUY
I want to mark this.

THE GOOD THING
What?

THE GUY
I want to mark this moment.
This place.

I want to put down something that forever reminds me that we were here.
Right now.
In this moment.
In case, later…

THE GOOD THING
In case later, what?

THE GUY
In case, later,
this turns out to be just a
ripple in an otherwise ordered life.

In case this is the only time
we’re ever right here.

In case what we feel could be…

isn’t.

THE GOOD THING
Okay. What do you want to do?

The Guy thinks a second. There’s so much he wants to do, so much he’d like to say or explain, but in a moment like this, there really isn’t anything one can do or say that really encompasses it all.

So he does something unexpected.

The Guy, unfettered by the reality of space and time, crosses the stage and kisses The Good Thing deeply, the kind of kiss that makes everything matter, the kind of kiss that sets things in motion, and in that kiss, The Guy has set something in motion, hopefully something good, and he does it with an unabashed joy.

When it’s over:


THE GUY
It’s the best I could do.

The Guy crosses back to his spot.

Something has begun.

The lights go down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

cher!

Anonymous said...

I watched Full Nelson yesterday, and he described History as a circle, yet not, more like a spiral, because though things wax and wane, they come back new, a little different. Then I came home and Ralph Ellison described history as a boomerang. Something that someone throws away from them, never expecting it to come back and bonk 'em on the head.

I don't know why I just wrote that. I guess I didn't want to write about kisses. Kisses (kissi?) are good. I'll remember this next time a good thing comes my way.

Anonymous said...

that's the best you could do...if someone were to kiss me deeply...in a way that makes everything matter...sets things in motion...WOOF!! Putty in your hands!