Tuesday, February 20, 2007

2.20.2007: What I'm Thinking About (Why It's Good To Answer Your Phone Late at Night)

The Guy and a new friend, The Redneck Intellectual.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL
What are you thinking about?

THE GUY
You, actually.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL
Cool.

A pause.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL (cont.)
What are you thinking about, now?

THE GUY
Whether or not I’ll get to hang out with you again. Because I’d like to. It’d be fun to get to know you better.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL
Cool.

A pause, again.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL (cont.)
What are you thinking about?

THE GUY
You ask that a lot.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL
Well. I’m curious.

THE GUY
I was thinking that I had a really fun time with you. It felt… honest. I liked that.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL
Cool.

A new pause.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL (cont.)
I’ve noticed you’re not really putting too many ideas into my mouth.

THE GUY
Because I don’t feel that I can.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL
Oh.

THE GUY
I’m not making assumptions of you.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL
I see.

THE GUY
I have this problem, this tendency, to dive right into someone. See the whole story played out in the first five minutes. Not because I’m desperate for someone to be in my life. I just really embrace and enjoy possibilities. They excite me. They get me pumped.

And you… well, you feel…

Possible.

But I’m not going push it. I’m not going to rush headlong into battle and smother you with my overzealousness.

I just wanna let you unfold, in your own time, in your own way, if that’s what’s supposed to happen.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL
Cool.

A pause, again.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL (cont.)
What are you thinking about?

THE GUY
Still you.

THE REDNECK INTELLECTUAL
Cool.

And the lights go down, but the thinking doesn’t.

Once the lights fade, The Guy has to figure out when to give The Redneck Intellectual a call without sounding too eager and scaring him off.

That’s what I’m thinking about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was sweet of you to not put words into his mouth. if he's as possible as he sounds, i'm sure he'll come up with some words of his own.

hurray for new characters.

and, as a more general note (half in admiration, half in jealousy), hurray for successfully doing what everyone secretly wishes to have done by creating a charming, accurate, honest dramatization of your life.

my turn to hate you.

:)

Anonymous said...

I like watching my bookmark travel slowly through the pages to the back cover, and the pages to grow thicker under by left thumb. That's what I felt reading this.

Anonymous said...

you're both in different worlds...*chuckle* is communication supposed to be so difficult? one word answers don't constitute a conversation....do they?